Screenplay

 

SCENE 1: EXT. ENTRANCE TO THE WOODS- DAY

Caroline and Emma stand at the entrance gate of the woods.

CAROLINE (V.O.)

It didn’t make sense that I be there. I mean Emma got detention all the time but there I was. At that point, I wasn’t scared. I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong. It wasn’t fun. It made me look notorious.

Dale, a teambuilding supervisor approaches.

DALE

You guys are here for the outdoor bonding session, right?

CAROLINE

It’s detention.

DALE

I was told outdoor bonding session. Your teacher was very specific, this is not a punishment but merely an opportunity for you two to work through your differences. Okay, register. You know the drill when your name is called just say yes. Caroline?

Shot of the railings of the fence. Caroline steps into shot and stands facing the camera as if she is in a prison line-up.

CAROLINE

Here.

DALE

Emma?

Emma steps into shot and stands next to Caroline, facing the camera in the same way.

EMMA

Here.  

DALE

Just the two of you then? Let’s get going!

SCENE 2: EXT. FOREST- DAY

Dale leads the way through the forest, Emma and Caroline reluctantly follow.

EMMA

I can’t believe we have to do this.

CAROLINE

Well maybe if you hadn’t copied my exam we wouldn’t have to

EMMA

I didn’t copy your exam

CAROLINE

Well, our answers were the same and I didn’t copy yours

Emma childishly mimics Caroline, and they stop speaking.

SCENE 3: EXT. AREA IN FOREST- DAY

DALE

Alright guys are we having fun, feeling good?

Cut to students looking miserable

DALE

Right, I can tell you guys are raring to go so I’ll get right to it. Your first activity is orienteering. You’ll start from this clearing here and you’ll finish back at the lodge where we started. You have a map and a compass each, so you’d have to be really stupid to get lost. Understood?

Cut to students looking miserable.

DALE

Good!

Dale throws two maps and two compasses on the ground.

DALE

Now shoo! Go on, go!

SCENE 4: MONTAGE OF THE GIRLS WALKING THROUGH THE FOREST- the girls bicker over directions, Emma tries to eat berries off a bush but Caroline pulls her away, they get caught in brambles, other shenanigans. The montage abruptly ends when the two girls hear a scream. They turn to each other in fear and run in the direction of the scream.  

SCENE 5: EXT. CLEARING- DAY

CAROLINE

Oh my god.

On the ground in the clearing is Dale’s bloodied Hawaiian shirt, tufts of fur, a smashed compass and a few pools of blood.

EMMA

Dale’s dead!

CAROLINE

Woah, slow down he might not be dead!

EMMA

He’s dead! He’s been killed by something in the forest! Oh my god! It’s going to come for us next!

CAROLINE

Calm down! We need to get a plan together.

EMMA

You’re right. We should stay here and wait for help

CAROLINE

Stay here? No let’s try and make it back to the lodge.

EMMA

You want to go out there? Into the forest?

CAROLINE

Yes! There’s no guarantee that help is coming. If we leave now, we can make it back to the lodge before it gets dark and tell someone there.

EMMA

There is no way I’m leaving this clearing. Who knows what’s lurking out there?

CAROLINE

I’m not going to leave you here, but I really think we should go back.

EMMA

I’m sorry Caroline but that’s not happening.

CAROLINE

Fine. We’ll stay.

Emma takes off her jacket, lays it on the ground and makes herself at home.  

SCENE 6: EXT. CLEARING- NIGHT

The two girls lie on the ground in silence. Emma has her phone taped to her head like a make-shift head-torch.

EMMA

Caroline?

CAROLINE

What?

 

EMMA

Wasabi pea?

Emma holds out a bag of wasabi peas

CAROLINE

Thanks

Caroline takes some peas and eats them. The only sound is that of the crunching peas.

EMMA

Caroline?

CAROLINE

What?

EMMA

You were right. We should’ve gone back to the lodge when we had the chance…and I copied your exam

CAROLINE

I knew it!

EMMA

I’m sorry

CAROLINE

It’s okay

EMMA

I think you should be in charge from now on. Tomorrow we can try and get back to the lodge…if we make it through the night

CAROLINE

Don’t be stupid, of course we’ll make it through the night

An owl hoots in the distance and the girls wrap their coats tighter around them.

SCENE 7: EXT. CLEARING- MORNING

The two girls wake up on the forest floor, spooning

SCENE 8: MONTAGE: same style as the first montage but much shorter.

SCENE 9: EXT. LODGE- MORNING

Emma and Caroline stand outside the lodge.

EMMA

We were this close the whole time?

Caroline glares at Emma

EMMA

Sorry

CAROLINE

Thanks for letting me be in charge in the end

EMMA

That’s okay. I knew you were right I was just being stubborn

CAROLINE

Can we just call it a day and move on now?

EMMA

Yes please

The two girls hug. As they are hugging, Dale approaches behind them.

DALE

Well, done guys you made it!

The two girls scream and turn around

CAROLINE

What the hell?

DALE

You guys completed the orienteering challenge, congrats!
EMMA

What? You died! You were killed by an animal!

DALE

Do I look like I was killed by an animal?

EMMA

The blood and the fur in the forest! We thought you were dead!

CAROLINE

Why would you make us think that you died?

DALE

All part of the experience. I always say that nothing brings people together like extreme adrenaline and perceived life-threatening circumstances

CAROLINE

So, you faked your own death all in the name of teambuilding?

 

DALE

Absolutely! And it clearly worked! I am so glad that you girls have made up, it really brings warmth to my heart.

The girls stare at Dale in stunned silence.

SCENE 10: INT. DARK OFFICE (After credits?)

The camera pans around the dingy room. we see: a clothes rack of eccentric shirts, bottles of ketchup and large bags of fake fur. Dale sits behind a desk eating monster munch, watching a computer screen with a video of the two girls panicking in the forest, laughing hysterically.

THE END

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Echo

The Fly

Location Rec